Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Control-Alt-Delete Sugar

I found the article below in an online blog, and thought it worthy of pasting here. Please put your comments, suggestions here, because I'm ALWAYS trying to find sugar alternatives for myself, as well as for my clients. So far, I am using honey and agave syrup, and don't miss the white sugar nearly as much as I thought I would.


By Glenna Crooks | October 5th, 2009
"Perhaps you’ve seen it: the grocery-shopping mom, complaining about a sugar tax, saying it’s hard enough to raise a family in these times.

I saw it, and could not believe it. Was this ad actually claiming that families need sugared sodas to make it through tough times?

It took watching it on line at http://www.nofoodtaxes.com/ads/ several times to see that yes, indeed, that’s what it claimed.

I’ll agree that a soda and other sugared items are a nice occasional treat, but I see no evidence that they’re necessary to keep a family happy – or that there are no alternatives.

I’ve begun talking to kids about what they drink. Here is what I got:
• I used to drink apple juice, now I drink water.
• I drink water; that’s good for you.
• I drink milk when I eat and water other times.
• I used to drink (naming a brand soda) but now I drink water. The (soda) made my feel icky and I did not know how much until I stopped drinking it all the time.
Personally, I’m not a huge fan of plain water. I like a slice of lemon in it.

What about you? Do you have a favorite alternative to sugared drinks?
Do you have any recipes for the beleaguered Mom trying to keep her family happy in these tough times? Do you have any tricks for weaning a family off sugared drinks?"

No comments:

Post a Comment