Monday, November 23, 2009

Patient or Partner?

I’ve always been uncomfortable with the word “patient.” While on the one had it helps me to understand that health doesn’t come instantaneously, it also has the flavor of being passive. We have been trained in this culture to be good “patients," as in: “Trust me, I’m the doctor; I know what’s best for you. Be compliant. Don’t question”.

As an acupuncturist, I will ask my clients to be more active in their own healthcare. First, (and not unimportantly) you will be asked for a commitment of your time, energy and awareness.

With acupuncture, treatments are more frequent and may be regularly scheduled over the course of long periods of time. Will you be committed to getting there on time, personally prepared for the treatment? Are you willing to put the time in to make necessary changes?

Next, I will ask you to observe your daily patterns, such as sleep, moods, energy levels, food cravings, elimination, etc., to discover for yourself if you are living in a way that optimizes your own health.

And at some point in treatment, I will ask if you are willing to do some homework. For example, are you willing to cut down on your coffee, alcohol, or work hours? do some exercise? take naps? adjust your bedtime? Are you willing to keep a journal that will help record your patterns and the symptoms you have been experiencing? Are you willing to do the things that will enhance the treatments you are receiving? Are you willing to eliminate the phrase "Well, that's just how I am"?

If you find that making commitment to some change is not possible, we will have to figure out what is in the way and how to proceed from there. We need to figure out how to make change as palatable and smooth as possible. And once you see results, I am hoping that the changes will be positive enough to make them permanent.

Partners keep their agreements or negotiate other ones. Be partner, not passive.

No comments:

Post a Comment